Monday, December 27, 2010

Happy Holidays from Georgia


Dear Family and Friends,
This week has been an enjoyable one, in the Spirit of Christmas President King asked us to focus on serving people, to emulate the love of Christ in others lives, and as we tried to do so, it made the season a lot more special. At the Mission Christmas party that we had Tuesday, we talked a lot about traditions, and their importance, and it really got me thinking about how important traditions are in the foundations of families. They are the basis that we can use to invite the Spirit into our homes, and teach our children important gospel principles in ways that will help them learn more powerfully than just rambling on. They say that actions speak louder than words, and that is definitely true in the case of being an example of the believers. They say that the most important duty we have in this life, is to raise a family in righteousness, and no success can compensate for failure in the home. I would like to add my testimony to that truth, the righteous traditions that we establish our families on will be the foundations of gospel learning for generations to come. I've done a lot of reflecting this week, and as Iv'e done so, I've really become frustrated by the lack of care that seems to run rampant in the hearts of the children of men. Too many of us in this world are so caught up in this world, and the pursuit of joys that come from it, that we neglect of forget to search out the truly important things. If this pattern continues, the world truly will dwindle in unbelief, and God's Plan that he created for all mankind will be a failure. I truly cannot understand why someone would not be willing to obtain the blessings available from the gospel, simpoly because it sounds like a lot of work, or might require me to do something that I don't like. I never in my life wanted to serve a mission, because I was/am terrified of what I do every day, but to think of all the experiences that I've had since I've come, I cannot believe that anyone would not want to do this. I know we all have weaknesses, God GAVE them to us on purpose, and he promises that if we turn to him he will make our weaknesses strenghts. We have so many gifts given to us for our benefit and learning, so that we can reach Exaltation, and I think it's about time we give back to God. In the words of President Uchtdorf, we need to get back the basics, realign our desires, and get ourselves on the straight and narrow path to Eternal Life. May I remind you that anything short of reaching Eternal Life is failure to live the Gospel. The greatest gift we can give God is to Love him, and if we Love him, we will obey him, it becomes so natural. I ask you, Why can you not Love God with all you heart, mind, and soul? I testify that if you do this, he will lead you to Eternal Life. It wont be a burden, it will be a blessing. In the words of Christ, "Whosever will not take up his cross and follow me is not worthy of me." So lets try a little harder to take up that cross, and lets reach a little deeper to Love the Lord, because I Love you, and he Loves you, and he wants you to come back, but Justice cannot overpower mercy, we must obey. I hope we all can strive together to work towards exaltation, know that I pray for you, I love you, I miss you, and I hope you're all doing well.

Love

Elder Hughes

No comments:

Post a Comment