Monday, March 21, 2011

The Weekly Owl (Hogwarts style)

Dear Family and Friends,
This week in the Elder Hughes weekly mission newsletter, we are glad to report that something crazy has happened yet again. Don't worry though, no ones life was in danger or anything like that, it was actually a cool experience. A lady that has been in contact with the church through the years, ended up outside our church building Saturday and was invited to watch a basketball game. She came to church the next day, and we were invited to a members home to share a message with her, where we found out that she is very fond of the church, and as we were teaching her I had a feeling that I've never experienced before. As I was talking, I could hear words coming out of my mouth but it was like my mind and mouth were disconnected, but I was still teaching. As this was happening, a thought ran across my mind as clear as day, almost to the point that I thought I could see it running in front of my vision like you see in cartoons all the time. And I thought that this lady needs to be baptized, but I never felt impressed to invite her to. It was single handedly one of the most unique experiences that I've ever had teaching, because the Spirit was inspiring me about what to do and say the entire time, and she really seemed to understand. It was amazing to me to see how the Lord works through us when we're open. This probably happened because of an experience that I had earlier in the week that I'd like to share. I seem to have developed prayer insomnia, meaning I can't sleep until I've prayed at night. One night, my body was tired, it had been a long day, I was exhausted physically and mentally, but I could not close my eyes. So I crawled out of bed and fell to the floor where I had one of the most powerful prayers I've ever had, and I literally felt the Holy Ghost moving in my heart. Afterwards I was paralyzed by fear, and an impression quickly came to me that there was an evil spirit trying to overcome me in that moment, and I heard in my head myself commanding that spirit to be gone. After a moment, I repeated the words, and immediately the fear left, and as I layed back down I fell asleep immediately. I feel that in response to that prayer I've come just a little closer to the Lord, and the rest of the week, I have felt the Spirit moving more powerfully in me. I would like to bear the witness that I have received of the Holy Ghost that prayer is the key to opening the window of heaven, and invoking the power of God to help us in our lives. He will change our hearts, our minds, and help us to come unto him that we may become perfected in Christ. Of this I testify in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

Love,

Elder Hughes

We still don't know where he is!! This week we guessed Matt (yes that is a town in Georgia), Bufford, Cummings, and Buffington.

No comments:

Post a Comment