Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Letter for the Week

Hellllllo,
Breaking news in GANM, Elder Hughes is being transferred yes again. This will make 4 transfers in a row, having only spent 6 weeks in 3 areas in a row. I think this has to be some kind of record, but I do not know. I'm beginning to be scared about what the future may hold, since this is supposed to be preparation for life, apparently I'm never going to stay anywhere very long. But, the work goes on, and I have other people to teach. I found an interesting scripture in my studies this week, and since most of you wouldn't look it up, I'll just tell you what it says...Proverbs 25:25 "As sold water to a thirsty sould, so is news from a far country." I'll let you figure out what that means. Well, I doubt anyone has heard the breaking news in Dahlonega, but last wednesday, a Tornado touched down, and ripped through town. It touched down near our apartment, and knocked down quite a few trees, knocked out the power, but as far as I know no one was injured. We were at a members house for dinner while it happened, so we had no idea until we came home and saw the clean up crews all over trying to cut up all the trees that were blocking roads and such. Beyond this nothing too interesting has happened lately, other than missionary work. I did get to go on exchange with the Zone Leaders, and then in Dawsonville. I spent less time in my area that week than I did in other areas which was quite odd, but it was good to get to see how the work is going in other areas. The gospel topic that stuck out to me most in my studies this week was Revelation. Sister Julie B. Beck talked about it in General Conference, and made an interesting statement. She said that learning how to Prepare for, Receive, and Follow Revelation is the most important thing we can learn in this life, and I believe she is absolutley right. If we want to be guided by the Spirit we have to know how to listen to it, and that is what we call Revelation. This made me think of how pre-occupied we are today with technology, and I now understand why the Prophets are counseling us to detach ourselves...Technology is one of the ways satan distracts us from Revelation, he uses something that is not technically evil to dull our sensitivity, so that he can lead us carefully away from the Lord. As an emmisary for the Lord, I would encourage you to take time out of your day, to put all these things aside and focus on obtaining from the Lord the necessary Revelation and direction we need in our lives. I know that if we will do this, we will be blessed with guidance to know where to go, what to do, and what to say. The Lord will be better able to help us along the path, and will be more fully able to guide us. I can promise you from personal experience, that if yo put forth the effort and the time to focus on the Lord, you will be blessed. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen. I love you all, and I hope to hear from you soon.

Elder Hughes

No comments:

Post a Comment